Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Daily Life


I live in Louisiana with my wonderful and understanding husband, Shawn, our three cats and two dogs. We live with our heads in the clouds and our noses in books. Some of our favorite authors are: J.R.R. Tolken, Madeleine L'Engle, George MacDonald, C. S. Lewis, and many more wonderful writers.

I spend a lot of my time jotting down different story ideas throughout a day. I mean really unusual things and by the end of a week I have my hands full trying to piece together my thoughts of lunacy into something tangible, and funnily enough it works. I do run across the stories that only go for a few pages before I move onto something else with more promise, but I never truly forget about something.

Sometimes writing will eat at me and I have been kept up late with an idea or even begin remembering a poem that I chant nonstop with vivid story ideas until I put pen to paper, and yes, I still use the occasional pen and paper. There are times you can’t bring your favorite laptop with you, such as, out for a picnic or a nice long walk. No matter how hard you try, or how long the electrical cord is, it just won’t work.

So I make do with what I have until I can finally turn on my laptop and begin weaving together creative ideas like all writers. There is much trial and error, some days I am truly inspired and cannot write fast enough and other I find myself hesitating to write a word worried about my own outcome and struggling with endings because it’s like I’m saying goodbye to my characters, but I guess I can always just write a second story.

My day normally ends when my eyes can no longer stay open or when my husband reminds me that normal people go to bed at a sensible time, but he knew that I wasn’t normal when he married me.

-Brenda Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment